Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Woes of a Chair

WOES OF A CHAIR
I support the plank that bear
Great men or servants and bureaucrats
To do good or bad sitting on me.
I look like a cloned product,
Alike in the offices and dining rooms
Treat or retreat they do,
Doctor or patient I am needed alike
Sitting on me firmly to do .

I am filling the major place of bureaucracy
For them to sink in me mercilessly
To act like an unmoved mover bitingly
To move the files and people immovable
I am respected if I boss over or break over
Once occupied cannot be emptied
Bureaucracy understand my value well
They salute me till retirement
And on emptying they like to forget me

I am offered often to the liked
But not to the needy or tired
Not to the wandering on search of me
But to the one who empties the pocket for me

Carrying the giants I am broken often
They exchange me and get woven
To use again in the same mode
They use me for their comfort.
Since my relationship with my master
is not the one that is woven
Never remember me once got up
Until searched to sit again

My absence is noticed always
I am pushed and pulled mercilessly
To make space to move around
My presence is neglected otherwise.
Politics played for me is unbearable
Oh! What a paradox my fate is?
ANNIE JOSEPH

1 comment:

mathew said...

That was a wonderful tribute to the chair!!:-)

You have given the chair a personality with this poem...so inanimate and yet to so powerful...